Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kiba got Attacked on Tuesday...

So we were at the Kennebunk Dog Park on Tuesday... for about 3 and a half hours. Killing time and wearing the dogs out before class when...

I was playing tug with both dogs. Two dogs come over to us (running but not full out running) and I dropped the tug so the other dogs wouldn't get upset about it. And I had thought dropping the toy was a good idea... dropped it as soon as I saw both dogs coming towards us. (There was another dog but it ran away when they started fighting). Kiba turns to see the other dogs (didn't bite or snark at them). She turns around back to me and this dog (Bella) jumps on her back. Bella looked like... a terrier/greyhound mix. Skinny body.. terrier shagginess to her.

Kiba's screaming.. dog's on her. Stryder come out of no where (I think he walked off with the toy) and body slams the dog barking and growling at it. Kiba turns and goes after the dog. Dog starts coming back.. I'm trying to get Kiba away...

Dog's zeroing in on Kiba again... I get Kiba to me... Stryder again is body slamming the dog. They finally stop... and the dog comes back again, and at that point I was able to move forwards and yell at it and made myself look threatening to get it to go AWAY.

During the whole thing... I hear the owner yell ONCE. I pick up Kiba, bring her to a bench and check her over for bites, check her ears, eyes, nose, tail, mouth etc. About 5 minutes later... the owner is like.. "Is she alright?" - without mind you, the least note of compassion or concern.

We stayed in the little dog section after that.

Stryder got some extra hugs in too. I don't know how it would've ended if he wasn't there getting that other dog off of Kiba.

3 comments:

Jules said...

How scary! Dog parks can be really dangerous if owners aren't paying attention. Good thing you were right there.

I hope Kiba is okay.

Diana said...

OMG that terrible. Im scared of dog parks just because of stuff like that. But dog attack can happened in your neighborhood too. Owners who just open the door and let there dogs out. Im glad your dog is ok. Diana

Peculiar Dream said...

Dog fights are scary, don't have time to think or feel while your heart pounds out of your chest, just have to act and snatch.
Be careful of tricky hidden puncture wounds, they swell. If you missed one, and later find it, put a very warm wash cloth on there and draw all of the gunk out. Use a q-tip and antibacterial soap to clean it 2 x's a day. Make sure it has a chance to heal from the inside out. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))